Best vegetarian spaghetti bolognese
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large carrot - grated by hand or finely chopped in food processor
1 medium-large red onion - finely chopped by hand or processed
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tin low salt tomato soup
400g Funky Fields plant-based mince
1 cup water
1 tsp low salt beef stock powder
400-500g durum wheat or other low GI pasta (eg Vetta high fibre) - cooked 'al dente' as per instructions on pack
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, add onion and carrot when warm enough, and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and saute for a further 2 minutes.
- Add mince and brown.
- Add 1 cup water (I use boiled as it saves time) and stock powder, and simmer until mince is cooked. This should only take approximately 7-10 minutes, as it is plant and not meat based, it will cook faster. If using a pressure cooker, set for 5 minutes on the rice option.
- Add the tomato soup, switch element off and cover.
- After allowing the flavours to permeate the sauce, serve with a low GI pasta. It tastes so good, cheese is very much optional. It's even better the next day.